Hit the Road with Excursion Van Rentals: Easy One-Pan Gumbo Recipe for Campervan Cooking in the Pacific Northwest
Cooking a hearty meal in a campervan can be a challenge, but with the right preparation and selection of meals, it can be an enjoyable experience. This is especially true when camping in the beautiful Pacific Northwest and exploring areas around Portland, Oregon. Renting a van from Excursion Van Rentals is an excellent way to explore the area, but you need to be prepared to cook your own meals, as dining options may be limited in some remote areas.
Gumbo is an excellent meal option for campervan cooking, and it’s a versatile dish that can be made with a variety of ingredients. The Pacific Northwest is known for its fresh seafood, so adding shrimp or crab to your gumbo is a great way to incorporate local flavors. And if you’re in Portland, you can find all sorts of unique ingredients to add to your gumbo, such as locally sourced sausage or artisanal flour for your roux.
One of the great things about gumbo is that it can be made with minimal equipment, which is perfect for cooking in a campervan with only a stove top. With a few simple ingredients and substitutions, you can create a delicious and hearty meal that will keep you energized for your next adventure. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different proteins, vegetables, and spices to make the gumbo your own.
Overall, cooking in a campervan while exploring the Pacific Northwest is an adventure in itself. Renting a van from Excursion Van Rentals can be the perfect way to start your journey. And with gumbo as your meal of choice, you can enjoy a hearty and flavorful meal that will satisfy your hunger after a long day of hiking or exploring. So, pack your ingredients, rent your van, and hit the road to explore the beautiful outdoors of the Pacific Northwest!
- 1 pound protein of your choice
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of water or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of instant rice
- Optional toppings: chopped scallions, hot sauce
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, green bell pepper, and celery and sauté for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to combine. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until the flour is lightly browned.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes and stir well. Pour in the water or chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook until they turn pink and are no longer translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the instant rice to the skillet and stir well. Cover the skillet with a lid and let it cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked and the gumbo has thickened to your liking.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with optional toppings, such as chopped scallions and hot sauce.
There are many different ingredients you can use to make a delicious gumbo, and the dish is highly versatile, allowing for a lot of substitutions. Here are some potential substitution ingredients you can use:
- Protein: chicken, shrimp, crab, crawfish, sausage, turkey, tofu
- Vegetables: bell peppers, onions, celery, okra, carrots, corn, potatoes
- Broth: chicken, beef, vegetable
- Roux: all-purpose flour, almond flour, gluten-free flour, cornstarch
- Spices: cayenne pepper, paprika, thyme, oregano, bay leaves, garlic powder, onion powder
- Hot sauce: Tabasco, Crystal, Frank’s RedHot, Sriracha
- Oil: vegetable oil, olive oil, coconut oil
- Rice: white rice, brown rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice
- Garnish: green onions, parsley, cilantro, lemon wedges, hot sauce
These are just some of the potential substitution ingredients you can use to make a delicious gumbo. Feel free to experiment with different combinations to create a dish that suits your tastes and dietary preferences.
This quick and easy shrimp gumbo is a delicious meal that can be prepared with only one protein and a few pantry staples. It’s a great option for campervan cooking and is sure to warm you up on a chilly night!